Welcome to the summer session of HDFS 5440. If you are reading this, you likely received a link in an email. Don’t be afraid… this little blog won’t hurt a bit. The course won’t hurt, either. We are simply going to explore some topics that aren’t often discussed in college classrooms.
I wanted to take this opportunity to give you some of the information MOST of you want to have right now. The rest will all become crystal clear when we meet for our first class on June 17th (That’s Tuesday!)
Here you go:
- You do not need to buy a textbook for this course. All readings will be provided to you.
- There are quizzes. They are open “book” (open reading)
- There are no midterms and there is no final exam.
- Yes, you will write (It’s a level 3 writing course)
- Attendance in this course counts for half (Yes, as in 50%) of your grade. While there is ample extra credit available, my attendance policy is strict (no, i don’t take doctors’ notes or obituaries or notes from your legal guardian). If you are a person who is prone to absences? You should drop this course. Having said that? Most people actually enjoy attendance, so give it a shot. It won’t kill you to come to class.
- We are going to talk about sex. Lots and lots of talk… about lots and lots of sex. That’s why “Sexuality” is in the title of the class. We didn’t call it that just to drum up enrollment. Come with an open mind and mature sensibilities, please.
If you have paperwork from ODS, the military, or an athletic department… please bring it to class on our first day. this 7 week semester will whiz by. We don’t want to get behind on paperwork.
I will see all of you in Campbell Hall, Room 143 on Tuesday, June 17 @ 10:05 AM.
We may get out a wee bit early on the first day of class, but we WILL be doing work during day one – it’s the nature of the beast – completely necessary in a shortened semester.
Some of you may have been conceived to this song (ewwww, right?) but let’s start thinking about sex, shall we? We’ll start talking about sex (baby) next week.