Welcome to the Spring Semester. I’m Anita Parker. Please feel free to call me Anita. I wanted to take just a moment to say hello to all new students and to answer the most frequently-asked questions that my students have sent me so far:
Do we need a book?
- For 2367? Yes. The Second Shift. You’ll love it for its ease of reading and its low cost. Trust me… probably the least expensive text you will buy.
- For 5440? No. I will provide all readings to you.
Do we have midterms or finals?
- There are no midterm or final examinations in 5440 or 2367.
- There are final projects/presentations in BOTH
Do we have quizzes?
- Yes. All my courses include quizzes across the semester.
- The quizzes are on Carmen and open-book/article.
I heard that you can drop us if we don’t show up to class on Monday or Tuesday this semester. Is that true? Will you do it?
- Yes. You heard correctly.
- No. I will not drop you.
- Ah, but here’s the kicker: All of my classes have a mandatory attendance policy, and I take attendance. If you aren’t there, you will lose the points. It is The Ohio State University… not The Ohio State Football Factory… consequently? If the game is THAT important to you? Be prepared to lose the points and consider doing the extra credit to make up for it.
I’m on a waitlist – Can you get me in your class?
- The university will not permit me to override if it puts the class over the fire codes. Period. They historically permitted this, but tightened up on regulations last year. I can’t do a thing about that.
- Having said that, sometimes students drop. The best way to get a spot is to COME first class… so you have all the info in case someone drops. It shows that you are serious about the class. IF someone drops, I’ll do my best to get you in.
The best way to succeed in my classes is to ATTEND my classes. We do a great deal of thinking and group work in class and those discussion-based activities are not something that you can “make up” at home. Please come to class! I’m looking forward to meeting you.